WWJD
August 1, 2006

I heard someone the other day mention there should be separation of church and hate ... and well, those of you who are a bit touchy about religion might not like this so well, but it's what instantly came to my mind upon hearing those words.

Get your WWJD: Separate Church and Hate shirt now!

Separate Church and Hate shirt

And a close up:

Separate Church and Hate shirt

Hopefully I don't get too much hate mail for this one. :)

Posted by Red Monkey at August 1, 2006 4:02 PM | People Say I Have ADHD, But I Think - Hey Look, A Chicken | | StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble |

EF said:

Dude! I'm totally trying to order this shirt. I want men's lightweight XXL in pebble. But for some reason it keeps telling me my shopping cart is empty! Please, I really love this and can't wait to get one so I can wear it to my nice liberal church (when services resume after summer break - You gotta love a church that takes summers off.)

Red Monkey said: Hmm ... I think they're only available in heavyweight. But kind of like CafePress, but you can contact them at orders@goodstorm.com or support@goodstorm.com and they'll get things straightened out.
August 1, 2006 4:31 PM

EF said:

Hey, I have got it straightened out and my shirt is on it's way! I can't wait to wear it to work so my ultra right wing fundamentalist boss can see it and send me home to change. :D
Ken

August 1, 2006 8:04 PM

Beth said:

I've debated on how to approach a response to this and the only words that come to mind: I'm disappointed. Disappointed in the fact that you felt the need to design a t-shirt which, in the manner drawn and the words stated, lumps all Christians in the category of those who hate. Christ himself as well as Christianity far from represent hate. However, many take what they see and hear in the media and automatically stereotype. Does this representation not in and of itself, promote intolerance? The very ideal you're attempting to denounce? Every second someone in this world is discriminated against for one reason or another. We all deal with hate. Some more than others. Although it has been years since I've been to church, I feel as if you have taken Christianity and made a mockery of the beliefs as well as those who practice those beliefs.

Red Monkey said: Well, I'm sorry that you feel disappointed in the design. I still stand by it ... obviously I disagree about it representing all Christians ... in fact, I'm not sure how the way it's drawn can have anything at all to do with lumping "all Christians in the category of those who hate." I simply thought I drew a cute little Jesus character.
I also don't believe the shirt says anything about ALL Christians being haters. Some are, some aren't. And I certainly don't see how this design makes a mockery of Christian beliefs ... Christ overturned the tables in the temple to denounce certain behaviours. I think a t-shirt is actually a much more mild way of overturning the tables of hate that do exist in many churches today.
If anything, this shirt should be a reminder to all Christians (myself included) to remember the message of love that Christ proclaimed. But, I don't see how the shirt design contradicts that message at all and I'm sorry to hear that you did see it that way.
August 2, 2006 5:56 AM

Smash said:

I think Beths talking bollocks. I mean its just a bit of fun. She epitomises all I despise about religious fools. Let them die.

Red Monkey says: EEEK! I wouldn't go that far ... but of course, we are talking to Smash: the Dude of Controversy here. ... I do agree that the design is meant to be a bit of fun. (but I do wish the sentiments addressed weren't quite so ... violent ... even if meant in jest.)
August 2, 2006 8:10 AM

seawave said:

I'll add just about a two cents' worth :) What I see in your design is actually an overwhelming support of Christianity, a true authentic Christianity, the spirit of the true Christ.....not the Christianity we see represented today (and not only in the media but in our own local churches and communities.) Sadly, it seems that hatred and intolerance are the prevailing mood in places "of worship" purporting to represent Christ. And when attempts such as yours are made to represent the view that there are still authentic Christians who wish to purge the church of these very un-Christ-like viewpoints, it is then interpreted as persecution of all Christians. Don't we, those who have a deep respect and love for Jesus and his life and all that it embodied, have a responsibility to stand up for him? To stand up for his true nature, his true message, and take back a faith that has been hijacked by those who wish to use his name for power, for prestige, for politics, and for their own hateful purposes (including discrimination and intolerance)......the very things he himself stood so strongly against. Shame on us if we don't. Thank you, ender, for creating a fun design with a stunning message. It is in these small acts that it is made clear the true heart of Jesus Christ, and in these small acts that mountains can move. I applaud your design, and your message, and the courage to put yourself out there to the feedback you will receive.

August 2, 2006 9:51 AM

Sue said:

I was going to add a comment, but I could not put one better than Seawave has already done!

I hope you sell a bunch .. excellent message!

Cheers!

August 2, 2006 11:46 AM

EF said:

I agree with Seawave as well. I think this shirt epitomizes (sp) the true meaning of being a Christian and reminds us that hate was not a value that Jesus proclaimed. And I am proud that I'll be the first kid on my block to have one. GREAT JOB Ender!

August 2, 2006 12:51 PM

Andrew said:

I was surfing BlogMad, feeling kinda bummed out, got alot to do and all, when I came across this post. It is very uplifting post and the comments are great!
I think I'd get one if I had the money~! :)

August 2, 2006 4:53 PM

Shane said:

COOL! nice play on church and state too

August 2, 2006 9:40 PM

Jaypee said:

cool t-shirt! hope i could get myself one of these t-shirts. more power & God bless!

August 7, 2006 6:07 PM