Hardest Thing I've Ever Not Done
December 29, 2007

I don't know what day it is anymore. Yes, the calendar tells me that it is currently 7:18 a.m. on a Saturday. But I don't know if this is still today or if it's yesterday.

You see, my partner has to be at work by 5 a.m. Needs to be up by 3:45 a.m. to make it to work on time. Neither of us are morning people. At. All. So you can probably extrapolate that needing to go to bed by 8 p.m. in order to get close to 8 hours of sleep a night is not a particularly easy task.

After seeing a neurologist for migraines a few weeks ago, the doctor re-iterated that getting regular sleep and enough of it, was vital to helping stop the migraine cycle. He said that if we were having a constant struggle to be able to go to bed at that hideously early answer, to NOT go to bed then. Instead, he said that we should stay up later and later and later each night over a vacation. Stay up later every evening. He said it would reset the internal clock better than trying to force ourselves to go to bed at 8 p.m. every night.

So, we stayed up to 2 a.m. ... and then we made a jump to 6 a.m. ... we were going to shoot for 10 a.m. the next day ... but then we realized we had hair appointments and would not get 8 hours if we stayed up until 10. So, we went to bed at 6 a.m. again.

Tonight we are trying to hold out until 10 or 11 a.m. before we go to sleep for the "night."

Not going to sleep at this point, is the hardest thing I've ever done. Which makes it the hardest thing I've ever not done.

I think.

My brain is fogged, my eyesight is blurred and I'm starting to shake. But if we can get our internal clocks to reset, it'll be worth it. I think.

But I dunno, because I can hardly think at the moment.

All I can think right now is that the neurologist said "If you have to take a nap, it can't be any longer than 20 minutes. You'll wake up refreshed after 20 minutes."

I'm thinking this dude never tried this technique himself and tried to take a 20 minute nap. Cuz I just took a 20 ... and I'm telling ya, I don't hardly know what I'm doing anymore.

Am I sleep-blogging?f

The question is beyond me at the moment.

But if you don't hear much from me ... or see too much activity ... then you know I'm prolly off hoarding another 20 minute nap.

Posted by Red Monkey at December 29, 2007 7:16 AM | Never Underestimate the Power of Human Stupidity | | StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble |

Mama Zen said:

This sounds like hell!

December 29, 2007 7:15 PM

Callan said:

Wow, I've never heard of that technique for resetting one's clock before. Interesting. I'll have to tune in to see if it works out for you.

December 29, 2007 8:32 PM

Xers said:

...what a rough feeling.

December 29, 2007 8:41 PM

Pand0raWilde said:

Sounds almost as bad as the time I had a Sleep EEG run--had to stay up til 5 am in the hospital, then force myself to stay awake thru part of the test, then was finally allowed to sleep afterward while they finished the testing.

That's a night of my life I'll never get back--they didn't find my problem that way.

December 30, 2007 11:28 AM

Kim said:

I can imagine how out of sorts you feel. It sounds like what your doing is a form of torture, I hope it works..

December 30, 2007 8:38 PM

blueyes said:

I have never heard of this tactic before. So you guys are staying up all night and then part of the day and then sleeping? How the hail does that work? I have actually stayed up all night before either because I could not sleep, watching TV or on the computer. Never really had a problem staying up. It's always an issue of sleeping but I don't get migraines that often either.

December 31, 2007 1:42 PM

offendedblogger said:

Yep, you are definitely sleep blogging, and sleep driving...you probably aren't aware that I can see you driving by my house trying to steal my wireless connection! :p

December 31, 2007 7:15 PM

newnorth said:

hahahahahahahahahahaahahah..... I mean, I'm sorry :p (architecture school pretty much trained me to be able to pass out at any time)

Good luck with the internal clock thinga ma bob

January 1, 2008 11:37 AM

Momo Fali said:

That's pure insanity!!!!

January 1, 2008 4:36 PM

Sydney said:

I hate trying to regulate my sleeping pattern. I have the opposite problem - I can't sleep.

You get a million bonus points in my book for using the word extrapolate.

January 1, 2008 7:03 PM

Kevin goodman said:

Thats actually funny because it's so wierd.

January 4, 2008 3:06 PM

Mark Stoneman said:

Wouldn't it be easier to fly somewhere half a dozen time zones or more away for a week or two? Dunno, but the sleepless fog you describe sounds a lot like jet lag.

January 6, 2008 9:04 AM