Attempting to Release Steam
July 31, 2008

You've heard of counting your blessings, of course. This is the opposite. I'm attempting to exorcise all the crap that pretty much completely overwhelmed me to the point of serious meltdown yesterday.

The list:

• I was laid off July 11, 2007
  • I enjoy freelance projects, but I suck at marketing myself so that I will land them
  • I spiral fractured both bones in my "good" leg June 4
  • I can't put weight on that leg for at least another two months.
  • There are few jobs in this area for designers - and approximately 80 people applying for each opening
  • There are no jobs in this area for writers
  • The hospital wants $23,000 for the surgery on my leg - the good news here is that they do have an assistance program which I'm trying to get worked out now
  • There's probably another $1000 to $2000 in bills from X-ray and anesthesia - I'm afraid to open them
  • Our house is so small I can barely get through it with my current limited mobility
  • My unbroken leg has a bad knee and ankle - and it's totally stressed out from doing all the work now.
  • The server hard drive died a foul death today. There will be no printing until I get a new one installed.
  • I just found out that two of my best friends are either getting divorces or the break up is fairly certain.
  • I can't drive anywhere and can't really take public transportation, either.
  • I had a heckuva time attempting to get a ride to the doctor's office for my appointment today.
  • I would love to get the cast off and get into a boot today. But I know that's not going to happen.
  • My li'l baby Scoutie girl is at the vet's. She has a back problem and they are giving her IV steroids and they're hopeful she should recover. I, however, am a total mess over that.
  • Just got a rejection letter after yet another job interview.

Okay. Let's hope that's all out of my system and my luck turns around now. It'd be nice.

Posted by Red Monkey at July 31, 2008 4:40 AM | Struggles | | StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble |

Jackal said:

sigh... hang in there my friend - things will improve.

July 31, 2008 3:31 PM

Huckdoll said:

Oh....I would so totally be there for you to drive you around help you out...I'm so sorry things are just so crappy all around for you. I don't want to say all the cliche things because you're probably hearing them all the time.

Anyway, my heart goes out to you!!!

August 1, 2008 12:40 AM

timethief said:

I've read this three times and I don't know wtf to say. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. If I could do something for you to turn this all around I would but I can't Well, FWIW I do care. :(

August 2, 2008 8:26 PM

miriam said:

I am so sorry for the unfortunate things that have happened. If i had a magic wand i would make the bad things go away.
As far as not being able to market yourself well for freelance jobs---have you heard of www.elance.com ? You might give it a try and bid on some jobs.

good luck
miriam

August 3, 2008 6:19 PM

Kal said:

Its been absent from the blogosphere for quite some time and its been awhile since I stopped by your blog...I sure do hope you can hang in there! Feel better and I hope you get more work :)

August 4, 2008 12:11 AM

Tara R. said:

Crap! I so wish I could say something profound and touching here. I hate all this is happening to you. Best wishes for a quick recovery for Scoutie too.

August 4, 2008 11:01 PM

Dawn said:

I say go to the batting cages and beat the hell out of some balls...but that would be hard to do with a bum leg, wouldn't it? Sorry for all the crap you're dealing with. There's a slight chance I'll travel your direction this weekend for a parental visit with the kiddos. If I do, want me to swing by your way?

Hang in there!